The Lagos Home Ownership Mortgage Scheme (Lagos HOMS) is a government initiative created to encourage and support home ownership of First-Time Buyer (FTB) residents of Lagos State to purchase decent and affordable homes through the provision of accessible mortgage finance. Lagos HOMS is administered by the Lagos State Mortgage Board (LMB).
In line with its promise to energise investment in home ownership by increasing the supply of homes and enabling wide access to home ownership through mortgage finance, the Lagos State Government introduced the Lagos Home Ownership Mortgage Scheme, (Lagos HOMS).
Lagos HOMS is a unique solution to the substantial supply gap in housing stock in Lagos State, inspired by the State Government’s resolve to bridge the housing deficit in Lagos State and ensure that the Lagos State Government lives up to its social obligation to provide affordable shelter to its citizens.
Simply put, it is a stimulus package for equity supported access to home ownership which will provide the framework for a sustained mortgage scheme in Lagos State.
Steady and increasing urbanization over the years has resulted in the phenomenal rise in population. The social responsibilities and demands associated with a growing population density that has now reached approximately 20,000 people per square metre and an estimated population growth of 8% per annum has meant that despite the best efforts of previous Administrations, the last time the Lagos State Government was able to tackle the housing problem head-on was during the Alhaji Lateef Jakande Administration from 1979 to 1983, when an estimated 21,000 units were constructed in 12 locations across the State.
Subsequent Administrations have tried to bridge this housing gap without success. The major reason was found to be the lack of access to affordable mortgage finance.
For the first time therefore, through Lagos HOMS, government has intervened in housing with a focus on affordable mortgage finance which is believed to be more sustainable than previous housing intervention policies.
What are the Benefits of Lagos HOMS?
Lagos HOMS provides an innovative and sustainable opportunity to enhance home ownership by Lagos State residents. It will accelerate growth by providing affordable mortgage finance and thereby promoting equal access to home ownership in Lagos State.
Lagos HOMS will generate employment and unlock the savings potential of Lagos State residents by giving them the opportunity to pursue other economic activities from their disposable income. In addition, appreciation in property values will increase availability of capital for home owners.
Quite simply, more and more people in Lagos State will become home owners.
A key component of the Lagos HOMS scheme is the dispute resolution mechanism between the Lagos State Mortgage Board (LMB) and the Home Owner. The Scheme has an effective dispute resolution mechanism by arbitration through a single arbitrator appointed by the President of the Lagos Court of Arbitration (LCA). The arbitration will be conducted under specially designed Lagos HOMS Housing Arbitration Rules that are expressly incorporated in all Lagos HOMS documentation.
The policy is aimed at bridging the gap of Lagos State Housing deficit of about 2.55 million in the next 10years and sensitizes the citizenry to own a home with 5% of the value as equity.
1. Applicant must be primarily resident in Lagos State and will be required to submit a copy of their Lagos State Residents Registration Card.
2. Applicant must be a First Time Buyer
3. Applicant must be 21years Old and above.
4. Only tax compliant will be eligible under the Lagos State Rent To Own policy and must provide the proof of tax payment.
5. Applicant must be able to make the 5% commitment fee payment.
6. Applicant must pass the Affordability Test and not more than, 33% Of the monthly income as repayment.
APPLICATION AND SUBMISSION:
1. Pick up the Application form at the following locations: Lagos State Mortgage Board (LagosHOMS) Office; Plot A2 NECA House Building, Hakeem Balogun Street, CBD Alausa, Ikeja Lagos), or Ministry of Housing, OR Download the form online.
2. Make payment of N10,000 at the specified bank. Complete the application form in accordance with the instructions.
3. Submit application form with the payment receipt and copies of all necessary supporting documents in person at Lagos State Mortgage Board (LagosHOMS) Office; Plot A2 NECA House Building, Hakeem Balogun Street, CBD Alausa, Ikeja Lagos) OR submit online!
CONTACT US AT 07044519311, 08124817363, 08093061691